Memorial

 

HISTORY: PRE - 1958

The memories that have been shared by former parishioners have given us great respect for the generous, joyful, and huge pre-1958 Our Lady of the Angels parish. Here is a brief timeline of the important events in the parish before 1958.

Our Lady of the Angels Parish History (Pre-1958)
1894 Our Lady of the Angels parish was founded by Fr. James Hynes to serve the Irish Catholics who had moved to the area. The parish briefly functioned out of storefront on Augusta and Monticello until the first church was built where the present church still stands.  
1900 Original school was built. The population of the parish increased rapidly.  
1904 The Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary began serving at the school. Sister
1911 Expanded church-school building was dedicated. The original school and church were soon not big enough to hold all the parishioners. Additions were made to the school building, and the school building was also used for the church.  
1920 After World War I, many Italians and Polish moved into the neighborhood and joined the parish.  
1936 Fr. Joseph Cussen came to the parish. Fr Cussen
1939 Fr. Cussen spearheaded the construction of the new church and rectory. The cornerstone of the church was laid on October 15, 1939.  
1940 First Mass was celebrated in the church on November 3, 1940. The rectory was ready for priests on June 1, 1940. The new church can hold 1130 people. Altar Boys
1955 Cornerstone was laid for the new convent building. The sisters originally lived in the old school, and briefly moved to a six flat on the southeast corner of Iowa and Avers in the early 1950s. The new convent building could hold up to 37 sisters.

Sisters

NEXT >> FIRE


Information source: Koenig, Msgr. Harry. A History of the Parishes of the Archdiocese of Chicago. (Chicago, 1980).
Picture and information source: Morgan, Eric. “Our Lady of the Angels Fire Memorial,” last modified May 26, 2013, http://www.olafire.com/Home.asp
.